Sunset PointSunset Point is located on the western-most tip of Belle Isle. In 2006 the Belle Isle Women’s Committee held a groundbreaking to celebrate Phase 1 of the renovation. The project was completed in 2009 and incorporated a new comfort station, additional sidewalks, lighting, landscaping and off-street parking at the site.
James Scott Memorial FountainThe James Scott Memorial Fountain is located on the western end of the island. Herbert Adams was the sculptor and Cass Gilbert the architect. It was completed in 1923 and dedicated on May 31, 1925. The fountain’s circumference is 510 ft., and a series of impressive Vermont White Marble bowls are topped with a receptacle from which water is projected 40 feet into the air. At dusk, the fountain puts on a water and light show from Memorial Day until Labor Day.
James Scott StatueThe James Scott Statue is a large bronze statue on a marble pedestal. His image is seated in a chair looking over the Scott Fountain and towards the downtown Detroit skyline. James Scott was a Detroit real estate speculator and developer. He was said to have been lazy, eccentric, a prankster with few friends or colleagues. Scott’s last Will and Testament devoted his fortune to the erection of a fountain on Belle Isle, but demanded that a life-size statue of himself be included.
Belle Isle CasinoThe Belle Isle Casino was opened in 1908, the architects were Van Leyen and Schilling. The Casino is a two-story Spanish-style, Renaissance Revival building designed by Albert Kahn in 1907 with ornate towers and encircling verandas. The Casino is not a gambling establishment but rather a key meeting place for individuals and groups on the island.
Anna Scripps Whitcomb ConservatoryThe Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory was opened in 1904 and was designed by Albert Kahn, modeled after Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. The Conservatory is divided into 5 distinct sections: The Palm House, Tropical House, Showroom, Cactus House and the Fernery. Mrs. Anna Scripps Whitcomb bequeathed her 600-plant orchid collection to the City of Detroit and the Conservatory. In 1955 the Conservatory was dedicated to her. The Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory is open Wednesday through Sunday 10am to 5 pm.
AquariumThe Aquarium was designed by architect Albert Kahn and was opened on August 18,1904. It’s Gothic style entrance decorated with stone facade incorporated two spitting fish and the emblem of Detroit. The aquarium interior had framed cypress tank-lined walls that were filled with fresh and salt-water fish. The water contained in many of these tanks was brought directly from the ocean for the aquarium. The Aquarium closed in 2005, it was the oldest continually-operating aquarium in North America. The Aquarium reopened September 15, 2012 and is open every Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Free admission and parking.
GreenhousesThe Greenhouses are used by the City of Detroit and the Belle Isle Botanical Society. The Greenhouses are also home to the DPS Golightly AgriScience Program where 10th-12th graders are trained for post-graduation jobs as green's keepers, florists, arborists, nursery owners and related fields.
Perry’s Victory Civil War Cannons (2)Perry’s Victory Civil War Cannons are located in front of the Dossin Great Lakes Museum. These were cannons captured by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry from the British at the Battle of Lake Erie, which sealed American victory in the War of 1812. The cannons were originally at the old city hall until it was raised.
Perry’s Victory Civil War Cannons (2)
Dossin Great Lakes MuseumIn 1949, the Detroit Historical Commission opened the City’s Maritime Museum aboard the landed wood schooner J.T. Wing, which was the last commercial sailing ship on the Great Lakes. By 1956, the Maritime Museum was closed due to the deteriorating condition of the J.T. Wing. The Dossin family donated a check for $125,000 for a Maritime Marine Museum to be built on Belle Isle. On July 24, 1960, the Dossin Great Lakes Museum opened on the J.T. Wing’s former site. Visitor hours are Saturday & Sunday 11am to 4pm.
Athletic Field & Field HouseThe Field House was built in 1898, designed by Detroit architect Edward A. Schilling. It was originally built as a bicycle pavilion. It is located behind the 36-acre Athletic Field, which has facilities for softball, baseball, football, soccer, rugby and track. Across the street are handball/racquetball courts.
U. S. Coast Guard Station Belle IsleThe U.S. Coast Guard Station was completed in 1942 and formerly known at St. Clair Lifeboat Station. The U.S. Coast Guard operates this facility and rescue station located at the southeastern tip of the island. They patrol the Detroit River from the western edge of lake St. Clair to Point Mouilee in Lake Erie.
Golf Driving Range
The Belle Isle Practice Center is an outdoor facility with a 30 bay full-length driving range, which has a grass tee open. There are also three putting greens, two large chipping greens with four sand traps. The season runs from March through October and is open from 9am till dusk. Spring and fall season opening times are dependent on weather. For more information visit www.belleislepracticecenter.com
or call 313-821-5218.
Nature Zoo (Former Nature Center)The Belle Isle Nature Zoo opened in April, 2005 and was formerly the Nature Center which was built in 1977. A variety of programs are offered including educational programs and the Deer Encounter. Fifteen fallow deer that once roamed the island now enjoy a one-acre enclosure at the Nature Zoo. The Zoo is open daily 10am-5pm 362 days a year – closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. For more information or to check deer feeding times call 313-852-4056.
Detroit Yacht ClubThe Detroit Yacht Club is one of the oldest and largest yacht clubs in the world. It was founded in 1868 the original building was destroyed by a fire in 1904 and was located west of the current building. The current clubhouse was completed by George Mason in 1922 and provides social and recreational boating activities to its members. This is a private club and is not open to the public.
Beach & WaterslideThe Belle Isle Beach is a half-mile long swimming area and is the only public beach in Detroit or along the Detroit River. The Water Slide is located next to the beach both are open from the second week in June until Labor Day. There is a $3 charge for an all day pass to ride the Water Slide. During the summer on Sunday’s there is Jazz On the Beach from 6-8pm.
Giant SlideThe first slide was installed in the 1960’s and was replaced with a larger one in 2004 at the cost of $450,000. There is a charge of $1 per ride to the slide.
Kids Kingdom PlayscapeThis one-half acre playground has swings, tunnels, slides and other play equipment. It is the starting location of a Fitness Jogging Trail for all age groups. The Playscape was built with the aid of the Junior League of Detroit.
Borreal Wetlands ForestThe Borreal Wetlands Forest is a remaining remnant of the old forests that covered the entire area prior to settlement of the Michigan territory. It is Belle Isle’s wet-mestic flatwoods and is considered endangered. Some of the species contained in these woods are: Pumpkin Ash, Swamp White Oak, Shumard Oak, Drummond's Dogwood, Shellbark Hickory, Spice Bush, Wahoo, Pin Oak, Chinkapin Oak, Bur Oak, Silver Maple, Shagbark Hickory, Musclewood, Ironwood and Hawthorn. In the spring, you can find White Trout Lilies in bloom.